Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Lesson 8 - Alaskana cont.

I wasn't able to do #5 last night because the site was off-line to do a backup.  But now it's back on...

5.  I did a search on Will Rogers and it gave me 50 periodicals.  When I punched the Details button I got info on where I can go to get the periodical but I couldn't figure out how to access the periodical itself unless I went to their particular library.  Oh, my goodness.  The article is on microfilm!  I didn't know they still existed!

I looked up the History of Fairbanks because that is an interest of mine.  And I got 129 periodicals.  I got a wide variety of articles that had some connection to Fairbanks but I was looking for the history of the town itself, how the town got started and everything.  I wasn't sure how to go about limiting the search.  And if I did, I still wouldn't be able to access the information about it, just where I can find it.  I personally don't really find this site useful to me myself because I get my info on-line and can't get to the library hardly ever.  Maybe I'm just not using the site correctly.  I don't know.  Anybody have suggestions?


1 comment:

  1. From the last lesson and this one it sounds like you had fun with this lesson, which makes me very glad. The successive photos you found of 4th Street from 1915 and 1964 sound interesting.

    About the Alaska and Polar Index (Goldmine). It's what we call a citations database. The way to use the citations after you get them is to take them to your local library and use their interlibrary loan service, if they have one. Most libraries do. They can take the information from the citation and locate a library (UAF or somewhere else) that has the article and ask them to make you a copy.

    Some libraries can even e-mail you the article. Others need to have you come in. In either case, you will likely be getting information that isn't available on the internet.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete