Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Lesson 8 - Alaskana

1.  One category I picked was Culture and Religion. Then under that, In The Beginning Was The Word.  It's about the Russian Church and the Natives.  The next category I picked was Native and Indigenous People.  Then under that I chose "Agayuliyararput - our way of making prayer".  Um.  Nothing has surprised me yet.

2.  I went to the FAQ section and the Pope met President Reagan in Fairbanks on May 2, 1984.  Some of the other questions sounded interesting so I spent a little more time there.

3.  I clicked on the community summary of Eek. Population of 318.  Our population is 296,197.  Well, plus one because I'm here now.  Wow.  I can't imagine living in a town with only 300 people in it.  I never heard of such a thing.

4.  I punched in my community in Alaska's Digital Archives and I came up with 3138 results.  I punched Anchorage, Alaska Tent City, 1915.  It was the Alaska Pacific University.  I cannot imagine living up here in a tent during winter.  The url is http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm/ref/collection/cdmg13/id/605.

There's no way to pick a favorite out of 3138 things, but I saw an amazing photograph of 4th Avenue after the earthquake in 1964.  That was incredible.  Especially since I've been on that road and to see it so different, so mangled.  It's just amazing.

I also really like the picture of Anchorages first snow fall in 1915.  I didn't know it til just now but Anchorage was settled in 1914 and incorporated in 1920.  And that picture is the same 4th Avenue that got mangled by the earthquake!  Amazing!

5.  The Goldmine Library Catalog is offline right now so I can't answer this question yet.

6.  The first halibut hook I saw was a very nice ornate wooden hook.  The Object ID is 97-32-1.  I didn't know that halibut was a very big flat fish.  I think the most interesting thing about it is that it comes from two words.  Holy and Butt. LOL!

7.  One project I chose was the Communities of Memory-stories from Fairbanks. The one interviewed that I played was Effie Kokrine, 1996.  She was so interesting!  The other project that I chose was The Fairbanks Jukebox - The Interior Experience.  The lady interviewed was Doris Southall.  She was a nurse.

I'm not sure what is meant by the next project search.  Because they are all about Alaska from what I can see.  I punched in Alaska on the search button and I got 5770 results.  So what I did was click on a project that was about Alaska as a whole.  So I chose Climate change Project.  And I read the interview with one of the natives that went through all the changes that are happening nowadays.  It was all really interesting!  This is one page I am definitely coming back to to browse through on my off-time.



No comments:

Post a Comment